Freephone0800 731 7594
Live Agent Chat
Recently viewed courses
You haven't viewed any courses yet!
You are here

New apprenticeships aim to plug skill gap in leadership and management

6 Jul 2017

In an effort to fill a much publicised gap in leadership and management skills, two new apprenticeships are to be delivered in the South West.

The New Standard Apprenticeships in Leadership and Management will be delivered by CCB (Cornwall College Business) in the form of two brand new programmes to help businesses up-skill their staff to build a strong and confident workforce.

Recent research from ILM highlighted that more than a quarter (28%) of employees lack trustworthy or inspirational leaders and only a third (31%) of employers have confidents in their current management teams.

Furthermore, City & Guilds Skills Shortage Nation report shows that leadership skills are lacking and effective managers are the hardest to recruit across the business.

The Level 3 Team Leader Management Development Programme is based on the Apprenticeship Standard for team leader/supervisor-level. 

For those further advanced in their careers, CCB also offers the Senior Management Development Programme (Level 5) based on the Apprenticeship Standard for operational/departmental manager.

Hilary Desousa, training manager at CCB said: “These programmes have been designed to offer your staff the opportunity to develop their management skills and enhance knowledge, whilst gaining a recognised professional CMI (Chartered Management Institute) qualification.”

“For individuals, these new programmes are a great way to develop new skills they need to take the next steps in their career progression,” she continued.

“The Level 3 is perfect for those new to management, enabling them to gain the knowledge and confidence to build relationships, manage operations and projects as well as developing high performance teams that consistently deliver results.”

The Level 5 enables senior managers to gain a better understanding of self-awareness, setting strategy, fostering inclusive and ethical cultures, leading change and innovation, Hilary added.

Sally Foard, director of development and adult learning at The Cornwall College Group said that the “New Standard Apprenticeships are perfect for addressing the critical needs of your business”.

“Managers and senior managers can now undertake higher apprenticeship programmes enabling businesses to mould an effective and productive workforce,” she continued.

Funding is available for small employers (less than 50 employees) employing a 19+ apprentice, will pay 10% and the government will pay the remaining 90%. Levy paying employers (pay bill over £3 million per annum) employing a 19+ year old apprentice, can utilise the funds to support management development through apprenticeships.

Contact CCB to find out more about apprenticeships call 0330 123 4785, email visit


New apprenticeships aim to plug skill gap in leadership and management